Thursday, 11 November 2010

Eco friendly, maybe so but not functional in the slightest.

Bearing in mind I used to be an electrician, a lot of the light fittings here in Clements Castle are of the halogen bulb variety. Only three are the "sunk in" type taking the straight pin connector bulbs but the other three fittings (each with three bulbs) have the pins with knobbly bits on the end - these are the more common of the two I can only assume.

So a few months back after seeing a great deal online, I decided to purchase 12 of the new fangled LED version bulbs to not only be gentle on my electricity bill, but to do that little bit of personal effort to being environmentally friendly.
All three of the smaller fittings got them. Bedroom, Kitchen & the office. 
The bedroom ones lasted 2 days, mainly because when switched off the buggers still actually glow, which in a room you are trying to sleep in is not really the best situation.

The office and the kitchen did actually do quite well, until I finally decided to give up and take them out again today. 
In themselves they are a wonderful idea and probably did reduce the electricity bill for the duration of time spent in. There was however one major factor that I just couldn't put up with any more.

They are absolutely rubbish for lighting a room! 
(So if you are thinking of changing yours - please don't, utter waste of money until they manage to uprate them to a decent lux level!)

So ok, I tried, but here's something I now cannot quite fathom out.
I took out 12 bulbs to replace with the LED ones. These were lovingly placed all together in a box in the shed with many other spare light bulbs. 
On going to the shed to collect them to place back in, I can only find 5. Not 12 as was removed before. So I have replaced the 3 in the kitchen, and have put one in each of the other two rooms but I'll be buggered if I have any idea where the other ones went!

Maybe I have a light bulb eating spider in my shed, who knows!

The good news is, I can now actually see what I am cooking, working on and we are in complete darkness in the bedroom when the lights do go out!






No comments:

Post a Comment