I did have to laugh. Not only did I drag my arse out of bed for today's 'expedition' but even had to pay for the privilege of parking in Norwich for said event too, all £1.30 of it (didn't take long to realise it really was an hour of my life I would never be getting back.)
The event in question was the job centre's "Christmas Jobsfair"
Jobsfair my arse, more like jobs farce.
There were approximately 7 or 8 'recruiters stands' of which I would say maybe four had actually made an effort and thought about what to bring that might be of use with relevant information to hand out to punters. This wouldn't have been quite so bad but these were all of the companies I would work for when my arse has healed up.
The others left were - hmm how can I put this politely? rubbish.
One woman had obviously spent lots of time with a laminating machine and placed lots of very pretty signs with the companies logo on it however had neglected to bring anything with what the company actually did... so, as you do I asked her. Turns out she's from Sweden and hardly speaks a work of English so when I did finally make out that they were a company that remodels mobile phones and wanted people with 'electrical backgrounds' and she gave me that "chickens arse" mouth look as is to say but not you then... until I mentioned I DO have electrical qualifications and her eyes lit up. So imagine her utter delight when at that point I said "Sorry love, but if you cant even sort out a bloody table with decent information about yourselves at a JOBS FAIR, I don't really want to work for you thanks."
So then there was the choice of packing cakes in a bakery - hmmm not a safe option that one..
A care assistant company - errr nope
A local big hotel just looking for skivvies to bar tend and clean rooms,
another hotel chain looking for the same...
those are just the ones I remember of course.
The best one was an older looking gentleman just sitting there at a desk with a few bits of paper in front of him. I walked past assuming he was just some jobcentre troll looking in on who was attending however on reflection now am wondering if he was from an engineering company as he had all the right symptoms. Anti social, no signs to say where he was from etc.. oh well his loss not mine.
The only good point of the day was one of the hotel stands were giving out 'dib dab' sweeties which for obvious reasons attracted me first so at least i gained some sugar sustenance for the day and some paperwork that will come in very handy for lighting the wood burber seeing as its bloody cold today!
Oh and before i go - Happy Brithday to the Lama !!!!

The event in question was the job centre's "Christmas Jobsfair"
Jobsfair my arse, more like jobs farce.
There were approximately 7 or 8 'recruiters stands' of which I would say maybe four had actually made an effort and thought about what to bring that might be of use with relevant information to hand out to punters. This wouldn't have been quite so bad but these were all of the companies I would work for when my arse has healed up.
The others left were - hmm how can I put this politely? rubbish.
One woman had obviously spent lots of time with a laminating machine and placed lots of very pretty signs with the companies logo on it however had neglected to bring anything with what the company actually did... so, as you do I asked her. Turns out she's from Sweden and hardly speaks a work of English so when I did finally make out that they were a company that remodels mobile phones and wanted people with 'electrical backgrounds' and she gave me that "chickens arse" mouth look as is to say but not you then... until I mentioned I DO have electrical qualifications and her eyes lit up. So imagine her utter delight when at that point I said "Sorry love, but if you cant even sort out a bloody table with decent information about yourselves at a JOBS FAIR, I don't really want to work for you thanks."
So then there was the choice of packing cakes in a bakery - hmmm not a safe option that one..
A care assistant company - errr nope
A local big hotel just looking for skivvies to bar tend and clean rooms,
another hotel chain looking for the same...
those are just the ones I remember of course.
The best one was an older looking gentleman just sitting there at a desk with a few bits of paper in front of him. I walked past assuming he was just some jobcentre troll looking in on who was attending however on reflection now am wondering if he was from an engineering company as he had all the right symptoms. Anti social, no signs to say where he was from etc.. oh well his loss not mine.
The only good point of the day was one of the hotel stands were giving out 'dib dab' sweeties which for obvious reasons attracted me first so at least i gained some sugar sustenance for the day and some paperwork that will come in very handy for lighting the wood burber seeing as its bloody cold today!
Oh and before i go - Happy Brithday to the Lama !!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment